PIPSQC is pleased to share the recent publication by The Lancet Global Health Commission on High-Quality Health Systems in the SDG Era (HQSS Commission) entitled "High-quality health systems in the Sustainable Development Goals era: time for a revolution." The article presents the findings of the Commission's analysis on the quality of care available to people in low-income and middle-income countries (LMICs) across health needs included in the SDGs.
The Commission presents 5 conclusions, as summarized below by the SDG Knowledge Hub:
1. Poor quality care is common across conditions and countries, with the most vulnerable populations receiving the worst care. The authors recommend universal health coverage (UHC) as a starting point for improving health systems' quality alongside expanding coverage, especially for the poor, and financial protection.
2. High-quality health systems could save 8 million lives annually in LMICs. The authors explain that 60% of deaths from treatable conditions are the result of poor-quality care.
3. Health systems should measure and report on the processes and outcomes that matter to people, including competent care, health outcomes, user experience and confidence in the systems. The authors call for "fewer, but better" measures of health system quality at national and sub-national levels, such as a dashboard of key health system performance metrics.
4. New research is essential to transform from low-quality to high-quality health systems. As an example, the authors propose research to evaluate the effects and costs of recommended improvement approaches on health, patient experience and financial protection.
5. System-wide action, including structural reform, is necessary to improve quality of care. The Commission recommends specific actions to improve quality of care across the health system.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
To access the full report, linked materials, and related publications, please visit:
- HQSS homepage: https://www.hqsscommission.org/
- Commission page at The Lancet: https://www.thelancet.com/commissions/quality-health-systems
To view a summary of key messages from the report, please visit:
- New Lancet report out: High-quality health systems in the Sustainable Development Goals era: time for a revolution